Complete CO2 recovery line from fermentation process. Produces food grade liquid CO2 at 500 kg/h.
CO2 Recovery Plant Union Engineering 500 kg/h
The recovery plant is specially designed to recover CO2 from fermentation processes at breweries. This complete CO2 plant was delivered by Union Engineering in 1999 and it has nominal CO2 removal capacity of 500 kg/h. CO2 compressor is two stage Mehrer piston compressor and refrigeration compressor is Sobroe operating with ammonia (R717). The plant operation is controlled with Siemens S7-300 PLC. The delivery includes following main components:
- Foam trap, material AISI 304
- Water scrubber for CO 2 gas flushing mainly from alcohol, capacity 1200 kg/h CO2, material AISI 304 (Common with another 500 kg CO2 recovery system)
- Inflammable CO2 gas storage, 50 m3 open type, material reinforced PVC (Common with another 500 kg CO2 recovery system)
- CO2 compressor, type Josef Mehrer TZW 70, capacity 550 kg/h CO2, with 55 kW/620 rpm electric motors. Radiator cooler for cooling waters.
- Activated Carbon Filter for removing odors, consisting of 2 identical 260 liter / 20 bar vessels filled with active carbon, material AISI 304, equipped with a blower and air heating element.
- Dehydrator for drying of gas to a dew point, consisting of 2 identical 139 liter / 20 bar vessels filled with a desiccant.
- Cooling compressor piston type SABROE operating with R717 refrigerant with evaporative refrigerant condenser
- CO2 Liquefier consisting of shell-and-tube type CO2 condenser and NH3 evaporator. Separation of non-condensable inert gases in made with a purge system
- Steam heated evaporator for liquid CO2, capacity 2200 kg/h CO2 (Common with another 500 kg CO2 recovery system)
- Gas Analyzers
Operation description of this CO2 recover plant
Gaseous carbon dioxide (CO2) is fed from the fermentation tank through the foam separator where fermentation foam is removed and gas is pumped to the intermediate 50 m3 CO2 buffer storage balloon. From this intermediate storage gas is fed into the scrubber where the CO2 is cleaned. Scrubber is designed to clean the CO2 from ethanol and other impurities with a counter current clean water flow.
Purified gas is fed into intercooled piston type CO2 compressor where it is compressed in two stages into 18.5 bar. Compressed gas (CO2) passes through double acting, electric heated active coal cleaning filters and after that through double acting desiccant dyers. These filters are clearing and draining of CO2, which is then fed to the liquefaction plant. Liquefaction plant consist a condenser, evaporator and chiller running on R717 refrigerant. Refrigerant is compressed with a piston cooling compressor and it evaporates in the condenser and cools CO2 at - 30 0 C, allowing the condensation of CO2 at a pressure of 17.4 bar. Non-condensable gases will be extracted from liquid CO2 in this stage. Clean, liquefied carbon dioxide is pumped into the storage tank (NOT a part of this plant) and where it is fed into the evaporator for usage in the plant. In the evaporator, the liquid CO2 is heated steam and it is vaporized and converted into the gaseous CO2. at a pressure of 17.5 bar and pressure is further reduced to suitable for plant system.